Sunday, June 21, 2009

Table 8 - 25 Cooper Sq b/tw 5th & 6th Sts.

Table 8, was not so great, but I will give it a second chance. I had high expectations: the place looks very cool, the menu is interesting, the chef has solid, global training and the restaurant has a track record in LA and SoBe. I wanted fine dining in a sleek, chic environement. I got hit or miss food, friendly, but unprofessional service and a noisy, harried room. Bright spots: the scallop & kumquat and fluke in red chili oil from the salt bar were excellent; the crispy soft shell crab was also perfectly seasoned and the Albarino at $38 was a steal. Disappointments: tell me what your menu is about and how to order from it - really, what is a salt bar? The halibut was dry, flavorless; the quail was over-seasoned and tasted too gamey to be fresh and the small bite side dishes were nearly inedible. I will try again, though, as not only do I want to snag a seat in the outdoor patio, but it can take time for a restaurant to hit its stride, and I am eager for Table 8 to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment